Last week there was a story on the internet of Ohio father-of-the bride Todd Bachman grabbing stepfather-of-the-bride Todd Cendrosky’s hand at the last minute so they both could walk their daughter Brittany down the aisle. It was a lovely and selfless act that brought many to tears. Both men were able to put aside their differences for this one precious moment.
So, coming into the home stretch, I pledge the following for my son and his bride on their wedding weekend.
- I will put my ego aside. This weekend is yours. We are all celebrating your love.
- I will do whatever you want me to do. You are the boss, not me.
- I want you to remember this day, this ceremony, this moment with joy.
- I will hug everyone. I will cast aside old hurts. I will forget ancient grudges. I will look to the future with bright eyes.
- I will come with no agenda and no expectations. This wedding weekend will magically embrace all who attend.
- I will remember that your wedding now joins three families, each with its own set of traditions and quirks. Each will make your new family stronger.
- I will remember that even though you are still my little boy, I will look at you as a grown man, an adult, a husband.
Oh, and one more thing…I will not being wearing beige. I will sparkle in blue and silver sequins as I raise my glass to my handsome son and his beautiful bride. Salute!